- This event has passed.
Weekly Coffee – NCTC Fire Science
October 2, 2019 @ 8:00 AM - 9:15 AM
Strider Floyd, Department Chair of Emergency Services, will give a presentation on NCTC’s Dual Credit Fire Science Program, highlighting Lake Dallas High School. The Basic Fire Academy is designed to give the student a well-rounded education for a professional career in the fire service.
Following successful completion of the program, the graduate will be able to:
- Demonstrate the desirable qualities of a basic firefighter that contribute to high professional and ethical standards.
- Function effectively during high-stress situations. Such situations may include physical exertion, austere environments, victim extrication, basic or advanced life support patient treatments, victim rescue, and fire suppression.
- Coordinate scene management during hazardous situations.
- Establish rapport with first responders, agencies, patients, victims, and the public.
- Concisely document through written and oral communications, events relative to the provision of emergency care, rescue and fire incidents.
- Courses are taught through lecture, written assignments, skills demonstrations, and hands-on training. Clinical experiences and Internships are completed through local fire departments.